Continuing with Dungeness crab season, this appetizer is excellent served with a glass of Vigioner or Chardonnay.
- 1 lb dungeness crab, cracked and shells removed
- 1 cup mango, diced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chives, minced
- 1/2 cup jicama, peeled and diced
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a non-reactive bowl, mix the crab, mango, chives, and jicama.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the lemon, zest, vinegar, sour cream, curry, and black pepper to taste.
- Add the dressing to the crab mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
How Not to Screw It Up
- Make sure remove all of the shell from the crab. It’s a terrible feeling for you or a guest to get the inside of your mouth stabbed with crab shells. The jicama adds the crunch, not the crab shells.
- You can adjust the amount of curry to taste. Personally, I’m not a big fan of the curry powder taste and tend to only add about 1/2 teaspoon, but curry lovers like even more than the 1 teaspoon I recommend in the recipe. Just don’t over do it as the curry powder can overwhelm the whole dish.