The preparation for this recipe is simple. The only downside is that you need to allow the proper time to prepare as it the beets need 45 minutes to roast plus some additional time to cool. It’s worth the wait, though.
- 6 medium beets, about 2 1/2 lb
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped, fresh chives
- 1/2 head frisee, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Leave root and 1 inch of stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Wrap beets in foil and bake the beets for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Remove beets from the foil and let beets cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, combine juice, vinegar, sugar, and star anise in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the liquid is reduced to 1/3 cup (about 10 min).
- Discard star anise. Combine beets, chilves, frisee, and vinegar mixture and toss.
How Not to Screw It Up
- Don’t over roast the beets. They’re done when you can easily poke to the center with a fork.
- Really let the liquid boil down. Otherwise, you end up with too much liquid with not enough concentrated flavor.
- Don’t be alarmed the next morning! Beets make most people pee pink.