This is one of our favorite ways to eat celery root. The roasting brings out the earthy, salty, parsley-like flavor of celery root, allspice is a perfect compliment to the light celery flavor, and dressing it in a good olive oil with a touch of sea salt is simply divine. Overall, I think celery root is a great substitution for potatoes in any meal–far more nutritious with far fewer calories.
- 1 bulb of celery root, peeled and cut into 1/2″ thick slices
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- sea salt (or kosher salt)
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- Peel and slice the celery root. I generally cut the bulb in half down the middle, slice 1/2″ thick pieces, than cut those pieces into halves or thirds (depending on the size of the starting bulb).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the olive oil and allspice.
- Toss the celery root slices in the olive oil/allspice mixture to coat.
- Lay the slices in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast for 10 minutes turning once after 7 minutes.
How Not to Screw It Up
Other than under-cooking the celery root (which is easy to fix), I don’t have any tips for you. If you come up with ways to screw this up, let me know. I’m happy to embarrass you…er, I mean, share your cooking tips.