Source: Micki Seibel, September 2014
- 2 lbs okra, cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1/2 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the okra and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the jalapeno and pistachios and saute, stirring frequently, until the pistachios are fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the garlic, and cook until the garlic is golden, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the okra and cook until it is heated through, 2-3 minutes.
- Season with lime juice, salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.
How to Not Screw It Up
- Make sure your okra is completely dry and at room temperature before you start to cook it. Okra can be slimy. It contains the same slime inside as aloe vera, and the people that I know that hate okra do so because of it’s slimy texture. If you cut it up and let it sit at room temperature for about an hour, you can drastically reduce the amount of slime.