- 2 delicata squash, skins on
- 3 tbsp panko bread crumbs, (gluten-free versions are available)
- 6 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme, chopped
- zest of 2 lemons
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche, (or, dairy free sour cream, recipe below)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Slice the squash into 1/8″ thick half moons and place in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the squash with a thin layer of olive oil.
- In a non-reactive bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs, parsley, thyme, lemon zest, and garlic. Toss to mix well.
- Spread the breadcrumb and herb mixture on top of the squash.
- Place in the oven and roast until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and the squash is tender when pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes.
- To serve, use a spatula to place the squash on small plates and drizzle with creme fraiche or dairy-free sour cream (below), to taste.
Dairy Free Sour Cream
For the dairy averse, you can easily make a sour cream substitute from silken tofu. Combine the following ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth:
- 1 12oz package of silken tofu, drained of excess water
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
Transfer from the blender to an air-tight container, and this sour cream can be kept refrigerated for several days.
|Nutrition Facts: Panko-crusted Delicata Squash with Creme Fraiche|
|Serving size: 160 grams / 1/2 squash|
|Calories 244||Calories from Fat 180|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 20 g||31%|
|Saturated fat 6 g||30%|
|Carbohydrates 7 g||2%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 13 mg||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
The nutrition facts above assume using creme fraiche (which accounts for the high grams of fat). In addition to the above nutrition data, one serving contains 98% of your daily allowance of vitamin A, 33% of your daily allowance of vitamin C, 11% of your daily allowance of iron, and 9% of your daily allowance of calcium.