There are numerous legends about the true origin of Caesar Salad and who invented it. The one thing that is certain is that Italian immigrant Caesar Cardini made it in his Tijuana restaurant in the 1920s. Julia Child ate one made by Caesar, himself. Certainly, it is this form of the Caesar Salad that has become famous in America.
Caesar made his salad at the table in front of the guests. Each ingredient was applied to the romaine lettuce leaves to gradually “dress” them. This recipe walks you through how to make a proper Casear Salad–one ingredient at a time. It makes for a wonderful show at the dinner table
- Inner leaves of 2 heads of romaine lettuce
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 small dashes of worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, coddled (instructions below)
- Garlic Croutons
To coddle two eggs: When a small saucepan of water boils, add 2 eggs for 1 minute. Remove eggs to ice water and let sit for several minutes to stop the cooking.
To prepare salad step-by-step in front of guests:
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to lettuce and gently toss.
- Season leaves with salt and 7 grinds of pepper. Toss.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and toss.
- Add lemon juice, 3 shots of worcestershire sauce and toss.
- Break the two eggs onto the salad and toss until creamy.
- Grate parmesan, add croutons, and toss.
- Serve onto your guests plates.
How Not to Screw it Up
- Make sure your worcesterhire sauce bottle contains a little plastic stopper that allows only a few drops out of the bottle at once. One time I made in front of guests, and discovered mine did not. I dropped about a half of a bottle on to the salad. Needless to say, it sucked.
- Do not cook those eggs for more than a minute! One second more and they will be come soft boiled. We’re going for the raw texture, but without the salmonella.
- Despite popular belief, the original caesar salad (as made by Mr Cardini) does not have anchovies. Well, not directly, anyway. Worcestershire sauce does contain anchovies as one of its ingredients.