This side dish makes an excellent substitute for potatoes. It looks like mashed potatoes, and unsuspecting dinner guests have sometimes wondered how my mashed potatoes were so unique.
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
Ready in: 30 min
Yields: Serves 4
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 large jalapeño pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt and white pepper, to taste
- Roast the cauliflower for 40 minutes on 400F degrees to soften.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the jalapeño and saute for 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, puree the cauliflower.
- Add the oil/jalapeño mixture and blend. The resulting texture is the same as creamy mashed potatoes.
How Not to Screw It Up
- You may have to stop the food processor and rotate the cauliflower pieces around and start the food processor again. I usually have to repeat this process several times until the cauliflower is completely mashed.